Friday 29 August 2008

It's a Low Alcohol Beer Festival!



Many thanks to Ørjan Frøvik for the photo
As part of tackling Mr C's high blood pressure, and also for other health reasons, we've been trying to cut down on alcohol. During my last pregnancy, I got used to (very) low alcohol Becks, so that's mostly what we've been drinking at home over the last few months. There are, however, lots more brands on the supermarket shelves so, in the absence of any guidance from beer god Roger Protz, who I am sure would be horrified this posting, we've decided to give them all a go.

A good place for low alcohol/alcohol-free drinks is The Alcohol Free Shop, who stock a huge range of beers including the mixed case that we have treated ourselves to. They also do a mixed case of wheat beers if that's more your thing. So you now too can have your own alcohol-free beer festival in the comfort of your own lounge. Fun AND healthy!

I will update this posting with tasting notes as we work our way though the beers. Here's the list...of course, these are all "continental"/lager-type beers - I shudder to think what proper bitter/ale would taste like if it was tinkered with to remove the alcohol...

Bavaria
Becks - still my favourite
Bitburger Drive - I first had this back in 2001 while pregnant, and thought it was horrible. I'm prepared to give it another go though.
Cheers
Cheers Dark
Clausthaler - apparently the most popular low-alcohol beer in Europe
Cobra - has a slightly sweet edge to it which I am not keen on, but is fine when drunk very cold with an Indian meal
Holsten
Jansen
Jupiler - as this is Belgian, I have high hopes for it
Krombacher
Sagres Zero
Stella Artois
Super Bock Twin - a Portugese beer, which went down well
Super Bock Dark
Veltins
Warsteiner Fresh

No comments: