Thursday 4 September 2008

Low Salt Soup Recipes



Thanks to cap10xb1s for the pic
It's alarmingly early in the year for my thoughts to be turning to soup, but what with the miserable weather and a bit of a cold coming on, here I am.

The high levels of sodium in soup come largely from the stock that's used to make it. I'm going to look into levels in shop-bought soup in the next few weeks to try to find some low sodium options, but wanted to be good and look into making some myself this weekend.

So here are my top tips for making low sodium soup at home:

- Use low salt stock cubes (or of course, always best, home made stock)

- Go for something with a bit of a kick to it so you won't notice the lack of salt, like this spicy parsnip soup, or corn chowder.

- I've been surprised to find that there are plenty of recipes which don't call for stock. Here's a small selection:
roasted tomato soup
fish soup
Oriental soup with crab dumplings
spiced split pea soup

My favourite quick soup recipe has always been pea soup (frozen peas, a bit of potato, veg stock, mint, simmer and then zap with a hand blender). However my first effort is going to be this Delia recipe for french onion soup - with low salt beef stock cubes, and emmental instead of gruyere.

Well, it's either that or put the central heating on...

No comments: