Wednesday 20 August 2008

Low Sodium Stock Cubes

Low salt stock cubes are hard to find. I've been using Kallo's for a while, but they only do a vegetable low salt cube, which is far from ideal for gravy or a casserole based on red meat. However while shopping for the baby today, I found the Boots "Baby Organic" range stock cubes - they contain 0.02g sodium in 100ml of made-up stock, compared to about 0.4g per 100ml of OXO or Kallo cubes, and are available as veg, beef and chicken.

I've been Googling too and have found that Heinz do a "Cook at Home" baby range which includes low sodium stock, although I haven't tried it.

Which I guess means we can have 20 times as much gravy now!

3 comments:

ellie said...

Hi Ann, Kallo now do Chicken & Beef very low salt stock cubes but they are only available at Sainsburys.

The sodium level is 0.02g, salt equivalent 0.06g, per 100ml made up stock for both - so the same as the Boots baby ones. I use them to make gravy, I add a little Schwartz no added salt chicken seasoning for chicken gravy as the chicken stock is rather yellow and this makes it a browner colour (and improves the taste too).

AnnC said...

Thanks Ellie - I've been using the chicken and beef stock cubes for a little while too, but have been lax about posting here recently. The "Schwartz no added salt chicken seasoning" is a new one on me though, will look out for that. Of course, a splash of wine helps gravy too :-)

ellie said...

The Chicken seasoning I use has recently been rebranded as 'No Added Salt Perfect Shake for Chicken'. I put it on chicken breasts before cooking for sandwhich fillings, add it to casseroles that sort of thing - they do one for steak and a general everything type one too. It's a good they are addressing the salt issue because seasoning blends are often too high in salt I find, which is why I often make my own.