Friday 23 May 2008

Sauces

Shop-bought sauces tend to contain a lot of sodium...you can see below though that levels vary hugely (by making up your own mustard from powder you can almost totally avoid sodium altogether).

All numbers are g of sodium per 100g.

Mayonnaise:
Tesco Organic 0.4g
Hellmans 0.6g
Tesco 0.6g
M&S Reduced Fat 0.65g
Hellmans Light 0.9g

Mint Sauce:
Tesco Finest with Balsamic Vinegar "Trace"
Sainsbury 0.5g
Colmans 1g

Brown Sauce:
HP Reduced Sugar & Salt 0.6g
Branston 0.9g
Tesco 1.1g
HP 1.0g

Ketchup:
Heinz Reduced Sugar & Salt 0.8g
Branston 1.0g
Tesco 1.2g
Heinz Organic 1.2g

English Mustard:
Colmans Mustard Powder "Trace"
Colmans 3.1g
Tesco 3.3g
Sainsbury 3.3g

Horseradish Sauce:
English Provender 0.1g
Tesco Finest 0.3g
Colmans 0.4g
Tesco Hot 2.8g

Tartare Sauce:
Tesco Finest 0.5g
Stokes 0.6g
Sainsburys 0.8g
Tesco 1.0g
Simply Delicious Organic 1.05g
M&S 1.18g
Colmans 1.3g
Waitrose 1.6g

2 comments:

Joanna said...

I rarely buy shop sauces any more, but I'm REALLY shocked to see all that salt in premixed mustard. I've never bothered to read the label on the mustard, although I'm an avid read of labels, which means shopping can take hours ;) But for some reason it's never occurred to me to read the mustard label

Thanks SO much for this

Joanna

AnnC said...

Yes, I'm a real label reader now...am tackling it all an aisle at a time though or else like you say I would spend my whole life shopping :-)