Thursday 24 April 2008

About This Blog

First of all, a bit about me and why I've started this blog. I'm Ann C, I'm in my mid-thirties, and am married with two small children. I work full-time in the City, and live just outside of London. My husband has recently been diagnosed with high blood pressure (hypertension). At the moment, we don't know if there's a root cause, and really it's all a bit mystifying - he's young, gets plenty of exercise, eats well, doesn't drink to excess, and, although he works in the City too, it's a job he enjoys and doesn't find particularly stressful.

Anyway, having Googled "hypertension" (isn't this how everyone gets health advice nowadays?) it seems it can have some pretty serious consequences, which I am trying hard not to think about too much. However, I also found that there is a large body of evidence that reducing the sodium in your diet can bring your blood pressure down considerably - some people suggest that you can even reduce it far enough to avoid having to take the (rather nasty-sounding) drugs that are usually prescribed for hypertension (although, unsurprisingly, the Salt Manufacturers Association disagree).

Our diet is already a good one - we eat a good range of foods with plenty of fruit, veg, fish etc. - but one area really needs addressing, and that's the sodium content. I have found very little practical guidance out there on how to do this (everything seems to be US-biased). So, welcome to my humble blog, where I will post my experiences of trying to reduce our sodium intake, and hopefully improve our health.

Please see here for details on the government guidance on salt intake, a good place to start.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello Ann,

There is loads of useful information here on reducing salt intake so thanks very much.

However I'd be interested to know if your husband's hypertension has improved.

If so would you say that it is due to reduced salt or is he now on medication?

Could his hypertension be hereditary?

AnnC said...

Hi Lloyd -

Thanks for your comments - I'm glad you find the blog useful.

My husband's high blood pressure doesn't seem to be hereditary, and after all our hard work over the last few months, I am keen to find out if it has come down too. He certainly feels healthier, and has lost quite a lot of weight (although he wasn't overweight to start with, he did have that British man belly). He's reluctant to test his BP however, as it gave him such a fright last time. But I will endeavour to get him to do it in the next few days and will maybe do a little post on it.

Ann

Paul said...

Hi Ann

Your site is a godsend, especially as I have been recently diagnosed as pre-hypertensive [or Stage 1 hypertension]. I've been given an ultimatum to show some sign of improvement within 6-8 weeks, otherwise medication will be considered - which I would rather avoid. Your hardwork in revealing the sodium content of foods has been invaluable - so many thanks for your blog.

Best regards

Paul

AnnC said...

Hi Paul -

Glad to hear the information here has been of use, even though I have been very lax about posting in the last year or so. As well as the diet, please do also consider Resperate (http://nac-hell.blogspot.com/2008/12/resperate-update.html - it sounds nuts, but really works, and does come with a money-back guarantee), and giving up drinking alcohol.

Good luck - you may want to visit the BPA website (http://www.bpassoc.org.uk/Supportingyou) for support too.

A